BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Is it? Or isn't it?


In the Outpost Cafe on a late Friday night Maggie Heinrich and her long time best friend, Rachel, drank their coffees and ate their French baguettes as they spoke about their long weeks. Maggie looked at her best friend with questioning eyes.
“Aidan has been acting weird lately,” Maggie told her friend.
“What do you mean by weird? Is everything ok?” Rachel replied.
Maggie looked down and stirred her Americano slowly and said, “I don’t know, he seems separate recently, like he’s hiding something from me.”
“You don’t think he’s-?” Rachel quickly replied.
“I don’t know what to think! He wouldn’t let me go to his apartment for a week. Isn’t that a little suspicious.” Maggie said exasperatedly.
“Well you guys HAVE been dating for about a year now,” Rachel said reassuringly.
“Yeah I know,” Maggie said.
“And he is amazing with Travis even though they aren’t blood,” Rachel said.
“Yeah he is,” Maggie said as she put her palm on her cheek and sighed.

“Oh my gosh! Do you think he’s going to-?” Rachel said quickly.
“I don’t know! You don’t think it’s too soon? When I tried to stop by his apartment I heard this weird shuffling,” Maggie said excitedly.
The waitress came over and asked if the girls wanted a refill or a different drink. Maggie asked for a chai tea latte this time and Rachel ask for a complicated coffee order. The waitress, with her pin up bright pink haircut as well as the multiple tattoos, quickly wrote everything down and said

“No problem ladies."
While the waitress was walking away, Maggie noticed a tattoo of a collie running in a field of lavender on her left shoulder. Under it, it said in script, Bucky Forever. Maggie couldn’t help but give a slight smile.
“It sure is a pretty big commitment. I mean you already have Travis,” Rachel said.

“Yeah it kind of is isn’t it? Well it would give me an excuse to go out walking more often. And it could teach Travis about responsibility,” Maggie said.
“Besides how does he know this is what you want as well?” Rachel said.
“Well, I might have mentioned it to him a few months ago. We were being pretty cliché and talking about our childhood dreams. I must sound pretty stupid,” Maggie said.
The waitress returned with the steaming cups and gently placed it by the girls. 

“Anything else I can help you with?” The waitress asked. 
“No thank you,” Maggie replied.
“No, not stupid. You can’t ever be stupid. But wow! That’s great! Remember when we were little girls and played with our dolls and stuffed animals. You always dreamed of this but it was always difficult because of your mom,” Rachel reminded Maggie.
“Yeah I know. Which is why I'm so curious if it’s what we think it is!” Maggie said excitedly.
“Well you know where I interned for the summer so if you need any help I’ll be glad to give you a hand,” Rachel reassured.
“Wow, Travis is going to be so excited! But wait, maybe I should calm down. I mean it could be anything right?” Maggie asked.
“It’s all about a woman's intuition. Plus do you think Travis will like it?” Rachel said.
“He’s a two year old boy, of course he’ll like it, he’ll love it!” Maggie said.

“This is so exciting Mags. I'm so happy for you. This is what you wanted for so long. And Aidan loves you so much and he wants to make you happy any chance he can get.”
“Oh dear, it’s getting pretty late; the babysitter gets restless even if I'm a few minutes late. We should get together tomorrow. See you sweetie,” Maggie said as she retrieved her bearings, paid for their drinks and gave the waitress a hefty tip. 

“Yeah I'll see you tomorrow, we should do a brunch or something. I’ll text you later. See you later Mags,” replied Rachel.

No comments:

Post a Comment