In the beginning of the senior year, I had high hopes. My goal was to get an A in classes and look forward to my final year. What I didn’t expect was that my college courses to be so difficult. I’ve learned that some study methods that may have worked in high school will not work as efficiently in college. Some struggles I’ve encountered were the tests that my classes give me. I would study for hours and hours and yet my grades do not reflect this. I’ve noticed however that if I study with 3 or more people, my grades begin to increase. For the final few exams of my college classes, a few others and myself have begun to assemble together to study on our own without the motivation of our teachers.
This semester, I took Pre-Calculus and Forensic Biology. I do not know the exact grade that I am receiving for my biology class but I believe I am doing fine. I do not believe that I am passing with a high grade however but at least passing. In Pre-Calculus I have been showing improvements. In the beginning I was struggling to understand the topic. After my first test I realized that I have to find new study methods as well as make extra time to go over the subject. I began to ask others for help, those who have shown full understanding and can teach in clearly. Since that first test I have begin to gradually increase the score of my exams and my grade entirely.
Where do I plan to see myself in the future? That’s a question I ask myself almost everyday. In one year I see myself in college, hopefully Hunter College. I hope to see myself no longer struggling in my classes and having learned how to be a good scholar. In five years I hope to see myself still attending college for grad school. I hope to be attending the University at Albany majoring in Psychology because that’s what I want to be when I grow up. I want to be a child psychologist. Both children and teenagers have difficulty growing up and come across many problems. Most of the time they cant seem to come forward to their guidance counselors because they are connected to their schools so they keep their thoughts to themselves. When I babysit kids, I noticed that they have a liking to me immediately. I have never had a problem babysitting children. I have even become role models to some of the children I took care of. I believe that I can form a connection between kids which is why this is my job of choice. In ten years I hope to have graduated from college and pursuing my career of choice.
As a writer I believe I have evolved. Over the years I have noticed my strengths and weaknesses as a writer and have attempting to improve in any which way I can. I have even begun to keep several journals that include some of my many ideas for stories that I have in my brain. I have noticed that fictional idea come to me easier that I had first imagined. Everyday as I walk, work, sit, think, or anything, I daydream about various things. Whatever I daydream I quickly write down in a piece of paper which later gets included in my journal of thoughts. I have noticed when taking Mrs. Defeos class that fiction writing is very enjoyable to me. I create a fictional realm in which anything I want can and will happen. I can create the characters I have stored away in my journal to good use. I find fictional writing to be the most enjoyable thing to me in my senior year.
My favorite fictional piece in writing is the hardest to choose. I loved writing all of them. All of my pieces were fun to come up with and write. But, if I had to choose one, I would choose my subtext piece. I loved writing secret messages throughout the story that made it difficult for readers to know what I was writing about. I loved presenting it in class and seeing the faces of many confused students who pondered to themselves what my piece was about. I found it enjoyable to see how everyone dissected my story and finally come to a conclusion.
By the end of the year I hope to accomplish a sense of confidence when I write. I have always been afraid to show anyone my ideas or thoughts and I find that I keep many things bottled up inside. I hope that by the end of the year, not only will I have a confidence in my writing, but in myself as well. What I hope to accomplish in the pre-college program that I take is the understanding of how a college works and how I will need to be in the coming years when I attend a college officially. This portfolio represents me as a student and as a person because it shows how I think and how I write. This portfolio is almost like a gateway to my mind because everything posted on this blog is a piece of who I am whether it be my opinion or my imagination. This portfolio gives insight on my likes and dislikes as well as reflect on my enthusiasm for writing.

No comments:
Post a Comment